December 14, 2012
HAZARD — The Hazard Independent Board of Education held its final regular meeting of 2012 on Thursday, addressing a short agenda which included an update on construction within the district.
Joseph Clark, an architect with the firm Clotfelter-Samokar, presented the board with a brief progress report on work ongoing at Roy G. Eversole Elementary on Broadway, and at Hazard Middle School in Walkertown.
The school board voted last year to switch the district’s primary and middle school locations, which also came with some needed construction that has been ongoing during the current school year.
At the elementary school, Clark noted that the project is slightly behind schedule due to issues with what he termed “logistics and getting the paperwork started,” but the pace of work has picked up over the last 30 or 40 days, he added.
The preschool playground is at about 80 percent complete, with the perimeter fence still yet to be installed, though Clark noted that it is scheduled for this week. Crews are also installing new exterior windows, a project which will take several weeks to complete. Interior renovations have also begun on the gymnasium toilets, and a new exterior entrance has been added to the gym.
At the middle school in Walkertown, the contractors have brought in a second crew in the past month, and are working to bring that project up to speed.
Interior renovations of a classroom suite have begun with demolition complete and the HVAC units and duct work being installed. Demolition has also begun on a bank of toilets near the administrative area, and the work there is also progressing fairly well, Clark said.
The board unanimously approved two pay applications to the contractor, McKnight and Associates, for both school projects, and also a change order related to issues with the roof at the elementary school.
A completion date for both projects has not yet been established due to the initial delay and bidding process, Clark said, but he expects that both schools could be complete by the end of January or toward the beginning of February.
In other business, the board approved a new lease agreement with the City of Hazard for use of the tennis courts at the Hazard Pavilion. Hazard High School’s tennis teams use the courts during the tennis season each year, and the agreement approved this week will meet the school’s needs, explained Superintendent Sandra Johnson. The lease will give the school use of the courts for the next three years.
Regina Cornett, the district’s finance officer, also presented the district’s financial report to the board. The Hazard Independent School District took in more than $789,000 in revenue during the last month, and received a check from the sheriff’s office for $615,666 in tax revenue the sheriff collected during the month of November. Cornett did caution that the board will see a significant increase in the district’s bills next month as costs from some construction projects will be included.