BUSY— A fire that engulfed an ATV and spread to a nearby home in the Busy community last week—destroying the ATV and causing minor structure damage to the house—luckily left no injuries.
Jennifer Hamblin, the woman who lived there, said that the ATV was parked for two days before the fire broke out.
“I don’t know exactly what time, but I just heard a thump and I thought it was a kid playing video games,” said Scott Brashear, a witness at the scene.
Brashear said around three minutes after the loud bang, he looked out and saw that the ATV was on fire and had already caught the side of the house on fire.
“We (Hamblin and Brashear) packed water from the creek to throw on the house until they (the fire department) got here to put it on out,” Brashear said.
Hamblin said she was thankful that no one was inside the house when the fire started.
The Avawam Volunteer Fire Department responded to the call, and was able to put the fire out before it caused further damage to the house. The side of the house next to the ATV was partially burned along with some of the ceiling.
Brashear said that most of the damage was on the exterior of the house, and that the inside of the house only received minor smoke damage.
TJ Caudill can be reached at 606-436-5771, or on Twitter @HazardHerald.