HAZARD—A late-night fire was a rude awakening for tenants of a downtown Hazard apartment complex Friday.
Hazard Fire Chief Sam Stacy said the department got a call at around midnight that a third-floor apartment had caught fire in the Halls Mall apartment complex, in the building behind the one on Main Street.
“They got the call and when they got there there was smoke coming out of the windows and the door on the third floor,” Stacy said. “It was going good.”
Stacy said the apartment which caught fire had been vacant for two days prior to the fire, and no injuries were reported, though the complex was evacuated.
“There were people in the building, but everyone got out safely,” he said.
Stacy said the fire was out within an hour of arriving on the scene, however it was difficult to say where and how the fire started.
“Our best bet on this one is to say it was (started) in the apartment,” he said. “With any kind of apartment building we have to notify the state fire marshals’ office, and they’re doing an investigation right now.”
Officials with the fire marshals’ office were still at the scene Friday morning, Stacy said, and it is unclear when their investigation will be finished.