KNOTT COUNTY—On June 6, the Vicco-Sassafras Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department held their Annual Bass Tournament at Carr Creek Lake.
This year made the 35th tournament, the longest consecutive running bass tournament in the state of Kentucky. This year’s tournament began with good food and friendship among neighbors and friends of our communities.
At 6:30 p.m., a meeting was held by former chief, Charles Bell. Rules were read to the fishermen, prizes were given away, and awards were given in appreciation to Scott Jones, Phillip Mullins, Charles Bell, Harry Ward, and James Combs for their hard work with the fire department and the community.
Winners of this year’s Vicco-Sassafras Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department were:
- First Fish: Blake Smith and Zake Mullins, both of Hindman—$50
- Small Mouth Bass: Mike Shepherd and Don Johnson, both of Viper (weight: 2.99 pounds)—Rod and Reel donated by Buckbush Outdoors
- Big Bass: Greg McFall (weight: 4.41 pounds)—$500
- First Place: Henry Allen and Mike Napier, both of Buckhorn (five fish limit; total weight: 14.14 pounds)—$1,200
- Second Place: Jeff coots and Trish Coots, both of Leslie County (five fish limit; total weight: 11.58 pounds)—$800
- Third Place: Robbin Roberts and Thomas Roberts, both of Luttrell, Tenn. (four fish; total weight: 9.09 pounds)—$400
A total of 36 boats entered the Vicco-Sassafras Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department Bass Tournament this year; 25 boats registered legal fish. The total fish caught were 54 large mouth, small mouth, and Kentucky bass over a 12 hour time period. All fish caught were released back into the lake alive.
Many thanks to all the people who had a part in helping make the Vicco-Sassafras Volunteer Fire and rescue Bass Tournament a great success. Thanks, again, goes to the Carr Creek Corps of Engineers, sponsors of the tournament, the fishermen, and the communities.